Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Fall State

As I wrote in one of my previous posts, I am a member of JSA (Junior State of America), which is a debating club.
Last weekend, I went to Madison to debate in the Capitol with and against other students from the Mid-West.
We left early on Saturday and debated the whole morning and the whole afternoon, after having lunch.
There are different types of debates. The two most common are normal debates and thought talks.
In a debate, there are two main speaker and multiple subsequent speaker.
In a thought talk everybody is allowed to share their thoughts and opinions.
All these debates were on political issues. Examples for prompts are:
  • "Resolved, that social security programs no longer be made mandatory through the implementation of an opt-out clause."
  • "Resolved, that the United States has an obligation to protect its foreign economic interests using force."
  • "Resolved, that gender roles are important to the stability of the society."
  • "Is religious faith a prerequisite for being elected to high political office?"
  • "Resolved, that youth have a voice in today's government."
  • "Resolved, that the National Security Agency's leaked surveillance actions are justified."
  • "Resolved, that Congressmen be required to serve in the military before running office."
In the evening Anna and I went to a Sushi place. It was delicious.
The night activities were mostly fun debates.



I went to a debate on: "Resolved, that freshman aren't people." And we came to the resolution, that freshman aren't people.
There was a dance afterwards, but since it was a very long day and American teens dance really strange, Anna and I decided to go to bed.


The next morning started with another three blocks of debates, after a quick breakfast.
I was not brave enough to say anything during the whole weekend. It's so hard, when you didn't live in a country your whole life. You are not familiar with the history, government regulations and laws and on top of that your language isn't as advanced as the language of the other students.
At first, you have to understand the prompt, than the speeches of the other students and ,at last, you have to phrase your own speech, question or argument.
But finally, in the last block Anna and I went to a thought talk about:
"Do the motives of the United Nations coincide with the goals of our government?"
I was so nervous and I kind of messed it up. I didn't say, what I actually wanted to say, but at least I opened my mouth one time and it was a good end for this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wenn Du mich persönlich anschreiben möchtest,dann schreib an/ If you would like to write me an e-mail here's my address:

al.duenner@gmail.com