Sunday, April 13, 2014

Introduction to the Lobster



Spring has finally arrived to Wisconsin and it brings a lot of fun events with it. After such an awefully long winter with snowstorms, icy roads and temperatures below -40°F and illness it is such a wonderful feeling to be outside and do some physical work. Have you ever thought that banning wild Parsnips out of a raised bed could be so much hard work? Well, even those, apparently poisenous, creatures could not destroy my exitement about having a garden. My abandoned dream of having a garden with flowers, vegetables, fruits and herbs is coming true.

Now, let's get the Lobsters involved:
I don't know if I ever told you that I am a vegetarian, and until a couple weeks ago that meant no meat, no fish. Since my German parents are rather lazy cooks, they don't touch fish or meat at home, so I never really had any problems being a vegeterian. But life usually brings changes and after being sick so often this winter I thought about making a change to my diet. A couple weeks ago the decision fell: Iwould start eating fish and seafood again, after five years of strict vegetarianism (I must admit that I could never give up eating Gummibärchen). Though I can't tell if eating fish and seafood is improving my health, I have certainly enjoyed eating it.

On Friday I had a special experience with seafood:
Every year the special needs program at my high-school has a huge fundraiser, which is "Lobster Boil". The special needs kids, their parents and many volunteers cook hundreds of lobsters and prepair a delicious meal for their guests. In addition, there is an auction.
Since two of my host brothers have special needs it is a Lobster Boil is a tradition in my hostfamily. I didn't volunteer because I originally had something else going on that night, so I ended up eating the first Lobster of my life, and definitely not the last one. It was an outstanding experience with wonderful people because my family invited their relatives from New Jersey and friends from St. Louis. So I was sitting in between my host aunt and a family friend and both were helping me to crack the technique of cracking the parts of the lobster open, which was much hader than I had expected.


 My host daddy cooking lobsters.

This was a great beginning to one of the most special weekends of my exchange year...

1 comment:

  1. And today, three days later, it is snowing again. Seems like the winter will never end...

    ReplyDelete

Wenn Du mich persönlich anschreiben möchtest,dann schreib an/ If you would like to write me an e-mail here's my address:

al.duenner@gmail.com